I am an avid music lover and have been since as far back as I can remember. Listening to music allows my imagination to wander and helps me to better articulate or identify my feelings. It seems to relieve whatever stresses are occurring in my life. Whenever I feel "stuck" I'll listen to a favorite group or song. In fact, I've been known to listen to the same CD repeatedly over months at a time.
What I have discovered is music has been proven to alleviate stress. It soothes and calms the nervous system. When under stress, our bodies produce more adrenalin to prepare ourselves for fight. This, in turn, increases our heart rate and blood pressure. If exposed to stress over extended periods of time, as in a long divorce process, death of a loved one or undesirable work conditions, the heart rate begins to decrease and the blood pressure increases!!
When we are exposed to stress over longer periods of time, it actually alters our biochemistry and impedes our immune system. Our immune system is on over drive and unable to keep up. High levels of stress affects the way our bodies metabolizes food, utilizes sugar, and actually changes the functioning of the brain which in turn affects how we think about ourselves and others.
Listening to music and making it part of our lives can drastically improve the quality of our lives. Music can do this because if we are able to relax and balance our own energy, we are better able to deal with the stresses in our lives. Stress in our lives is ever present. It is more of how we handle stress that will determine the quality of our lives and our health.
Here are some songs you may choose to listen to (coming soon) and purchase which I feel relate to the topics on this website. Happy Listening!
1. Hold On Sarah McLachlin
2. I Will Remember You Sarah McLachlin
3. When I Saw You Mariah Carey, Fantasy CD
4. Together Again Janet Jackson, Velvet Rope
5. Empty Janet Jackson, Velvet Rope
6. Frozen Madonna, Ray of Light CD
7. Somewhere Out There Kenny Loggins, Back to Poor Corner CD
8. I Knew I Loved You Savage Garden, Affirmation CD
9. Affirmation Savage Garden, Affirmation CD
10. Truly Madly Deeply Savage Garden, Savage Garden CD
11. I Will Go With You Donna Summer
12. Theme from The Titanic My Heart Goes On - Celine Dion, Titanic Soundtrack
13. 2nd Chapter Enigma
14. Return to Innocence Enigma, The Cross of Changes CD
15. Out of the Deep Enigma, The Cross of Changes CD
16. Nobody Knows Tony Rich Project
17. Somewhere in the World Swing Out Sister, Shapes and Patterns CD